Home Forums Caddx Technical Questions 9060 keypad reset/default – how?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bixbyru 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

bixbyru
    Participant

Hello all -On page 4 of the CADDX 9060E elglish language language keypad installation manual (CADDX publication number 8060E-IB97 REV B dated 25th June, 1997) appears the following note:If the "Go To Progra Code" is unknown, refer to "Factory Defaulting the LCD Keypad" on page 11.This refers to the code for entering local keypad programming, not the system installer code to the panel.Page 11 contains no such information; neither doe pages 1-10 or page 12 - the end o' the line.I've tried many combinations of power-up with various DIP switch settings, but thus far no soap.Anyone out there know the trick to this...?Thanks, RussQuestion authority and the authorities will question you.

ABLE1
    Participant

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

What panel is the 9060E keypad connected to??

As for the documentation………………. well it is a common thing that the docs have errors.  Some more that others.

As for trying to access programming without the correct "Go To Program Code" on a Caddx panel I believe it is not possible.  What you are trying to program is the Control Panel with the LCD keypad.  You should get the Install and Program Manual for the Panel you are working with.  It will tell you how to Default the panel to Factory Settings but you need to have the GO TO PROGRAM CODE to do so.

It may be possible to connect thru a computer with download software if the panel Remote Access code has not been changed from the factory setting.  But that is another whole challenge.

Hope that makes sense.  Most likely not what you wanted to hear.

Good Luck

ABLE1

bixbyru
    Participant

Hmmm…

I was under the impression that local programming on the keypad was independent of panel programming – labels and such are held in NVRAM on the individual keypads, and can even vary from keypad to keypad – although one would normally broadcast labels so that all keypads on a given partition would act alike.

F'rinstance, moving a 9060 to another partition (or system) does not change its labels or other local settings.

The panel is a 9000E, by the way.

The installer code on the panel is the default – 9713 – but that doesn't get one into keypad programming as on an NX, DSC et cetera.

The default code for a 9060 is 9050, but that doesn't work here. While the means to default the keypad might not appear on page 11, the text of that note would serve to imply that such means do in fact exist.

I know of no mechanism within the 9000E system programming which will cause it to zorch the programming of any attached keypads, nor of a means by which to instruct one keypad to wipe any adjacent keypads – apart from broadcasting an empty label set.

Still lookin' fer the rainbow,

Russ

Power without wisdom is akin to an adze with a ruined edge, and it suited more to the vandal than the builder.

Edit: Merge posts

Hmmm…

The keypads are accessible via the downloader; it'd be a pain, but it's doable. Probably.

ABLE1
    Participant

Ok, now I know what you are trying to do.  

First let me be clear, I have never installed a Ranger 9000 or a 9060 keypad.  The knowledge that I have is based on reading the manual on issues that I get a question about.

However you might want to try the following.  If it or a variation of works then I am a hero, if not…………….. don't bother trying again.

If you know the address of the 9060 try entering panel programming with 9713 then enter the keypad address and then 910# and exit programming.

If you are as familiar with the Ranger series you will know what I am referring to in the above.  Or some variation maybe.

Good Luck

ABLE1

bixbyru
    Participant

Hey there-

Not a bad idea, that; pity it won't work. The Ranger doesn't use addressed devices ala the NX panels, so I can't surf into it from the panel and then start slinging commands such as "RESET THYSELF!"

The only "addressing" of which a 9060 keypad is capable is defining its partition association via DIP switches.

Looks as though it's time to install DL900 for MS/DOS and to dust off my old Hayes Optima… then call my own shop! One o' these days I'm really gonna have to fab a 'phone line simulator…

Russ

ABLE1
    Participant

One o' these days I'm really gonna have to fab a 'phone line simulator…

Don't be cheap!!  Buy one from Viking.  I did and it works great.  I call it my Phone Company in a Box.

ABLE1

bixbyru
    Participant

Fair 'nuff; I just always think first in terms if making rather than buying. It's a point of view of most electronics hobbyists – getting there's half the fun and all that.

Viking it is.

Russ

Airdorn
    Participant

Bring the PANEL into programming mode with either a 9075 programmer, the smart programmer, or using the PANEL program code from a keypad other than the keypad you want to reset to defaults.

Go to the keypad you want to default.

It should read "KEYPAD PROGRAMMING" on the screen.

Enter 910#

It should now read "KEYPAD DEFAULTS".

This is useful if the local keypad programming is corrupted, such as the zone descriptors, and you can't get into the local programming because that code is also corrupted or unknown.

bixbyru
    Participant

Ahhh… sounds like a plan.

Thanks!

ABLE1
    Participant

Well imagine that, I actually had the 910# part right.   ;D

Think I will play the lottery now………………..  Well maybe not…… ::)

ABLE1

bixbyru
    Participant

Hello there, Airdorn -

Well, there are no failed experiments, unless you count procedural error producing non-duplicable results.  Even a noble attempt which falls flat serves as a negative example, a of sorts.

Such was your suggestion pertaining to my problems.

On two different 9000E systems, I went into installer programming via another keypad (on one an LED keypad and the other a 9060) and the attached (errant) 9060E followed along, but not in the way you described.

It simply behaved as would an LED keypad, the top line reading PROGRAM MODE and the bottom reading DATA= XX where XX was the contents on location 000.  Entering XXX# would show the data in location XXX, as one would expect.

It didn't display the address, mind, just the data as numbers from 0-15 inclusive.

No local keypad programming mode was ever achieved – only system programming.

'Twould appear that apart from C00XXXX (where XXXX is the keypad resident-in-NVRAM programming code) the downloader is my only option.

Drat.  Thanks for trying, anyhow.

Best,

Russ

To believe everything and to dismiss everything are two equivalent viewpoints, as each obviates the need for reflection.

Edit:  Merge posts

Hey all -

Turns out all you need is another 9060. Along with labels, it also broadcasts volumes, panel type and (drum roll) the go-to-programme code.

Who knew?

Hope my Li'l oddyssey helps someone…

Russ

ABLE1
    Participant

Congrats!!

Be it known to all that come looking, that the solution shall be memorialized here forever. 8)

ABLE1

Airdorn
    Participant

Okay.

Strange that, if you used the LED keypad to enter panel programming, that the 9060E also began serving as a panel programming keypad. I expected it to sort of 'go dormant', displaying the words 'PROGRAMMING MODE' and not accepting any input other than 910# to default it, the keypad, to factory settings. It *IS* location 910 on a 8000E, right?

That procedure works exactly as described on the 8000 series.. I've used it many times when a 9050 or 9060 keypad's local programming is corrupted because of dead battery / power flickers.

bixbyru
    Participant

Hello -

I really don't know. It was a simplifies form of programming mode, akin to that of an LED keypad. The address was not displayed – only contents

It did say "programming mode," and for all I know it would've taken a 910 and defaulted, but since it was talking to the panel I wasn't about to try that and risk blowing away the panel programming.

On a 9060, whole one yeses 930 to save, defaulting (when one is properly in programming) is a menu option.

I've s 900E on the shelf; I'll play with it some and see what's what, then post the Wisdom back here.

Russ

Edit:  Merge posts

Hey there -

Nope; defaulted the panel. Sorry.

Russ

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.