Home Forums DSC Technical Questions Adding wireless sensor to PC1616

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ken_in_Pittsburgh 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

goober71

Hi,
    I have a DSC system (PC1616) with 5 wired zones. It is up and running (with lots of help from this forum!)  :)
    I want to add a wireless sensor in the family room.
    I see the wireless sensors for sale online, but do i also need a receiver? And if so, how/where does this receiver connect to the PC1616 alarm board?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

G

Yes, you do need a receiver. You have a choice: you can get a freestanding 5132 receiver or an RFK keypad that has a receiver built in. The combo is useful if you think you'd like another keypad; if not, the separate 5132 gives you more flexibility in placement, and it's less expensive.

In either case, the unit simply connects to the keybus, just like any keypad (Red  Black  Yellow  Green). When you're ready, there's an FAQ entitled "Programming DSC Wireless” that may help.

–Ken

P.S.  Just thought of something…….. if you bought the 1616 as a kit, check to see if you already have an RFK keypad before buying a receiver. Some of the kits include an RFK5501.

goober71

I checked my keypad and it is PK5501. So no wireless built-in… >:(

So, if i get this free-standing 5132 receiver (about $55 + shipping), does it simply connect in parallel with the current keypad to the red/black/yellow/green connections on the board?
    Is there a setup process for this receiver for the board to detect it?

Thanks.

G

Yes, it connects to the keybus, so the same four terminals, along with the keypad(s). The receiver will not be detected by the system until at least one wireless device has been enrolled. At that point, you can go into section 902, wait one full minute, then section 903. The receiver should show up as 17.

–Ken

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.