Home Forums Ademco Technical Questions Ademco 998PI motion detector problem

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  DEL Installations 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

turbomte

Hi,We just had a major power surge due to a lightening storm and my Ademco Alarm system was impacted by this storm. Every part of the alarm still works (windows, doors) except for the 998PI motion detectors (1 in home entrance and 1 in basement). I cannot set the alarm in "AWAY" mode since the zone is active - however, no one is standing in front of the motion detector. When using the test mode, the zone does not respond at all.Not sure where to begin trouble shooting this problem. The alarm company will charge me a fortune just for the service call to come out.Any advise where to begin?Thanks,Mark

sonyguy

you can buy a new motion for under 50 bucks.  I would Power down the system, Open the case with a flat head screw driver and look at how they wired it. Then get a small flat head screwdriver and move a wire from the old motion to the new motion in the same screw terminals. Pop the board out, put the new one in,put the case on, power up the system and do the walk test again.

turbomte

Thanks for the reply!!
    I did open up the motion detector and saw the wires, which all looked in tact.
    Would you then assume that it is the physical motion detector(s) that got blown out as opposed to something else?  Both motion detectors are not functioning so I thought that the problem may be in the main board down in the basement. Since Zone 2 is associated with both motion detectors (front door and basement), not sure if there is a way to disconnect (or bypass) just one of them to see if both detectors are blown or just one of them.
    Due to the recent electrical storm, we also had some electrical problems with one of the GFI outlets, which I needed to replace, as well as one of the Genie garage door openers due to a circuit board blowout (luckily covered under lifetime warranty and replaced today). Still trying to figure out why my master bedroom fan not functioning. That motor may have been blown out as well.
    So what is now left to figure out is my ceiling fan and Ademco motion detectors.

I would probably need to purchase 2 motion detectors and replace both of them. Hopefully, I would be able to return them if that was not the problem.

What do you think?
    Thanks again!!
    Mark

DEL Installations
    Participant

You can check to eliminate the off chance there's a wiring or panel issue by opening the PIR and looking for 2 terminals labelled CKT, RLY or NC/C. Remove those wires from the terminals and twist together.

Leave the +and – alone!

If your zone clears, your PIR is cooked.

DEL Installations
    Participant

Also sounds like you took a good hit, I'd check everything alarm related, especially if it's monitored, for proper operation and communication to the CS.

turbomte

Will do. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks for the advise!!

turbomte

In response to your suggestion….
    I opened the motion detector in foyer and twisted the 2 wires labeled RELAY together (leaving the + and – alone) and the alarm was able to set. I then did the same to the basement motion detector, and with both motion detectors rewired, still was able to set the alarm.

When returning the basement motion detector wiring to the original wiring and foyer rewired, was still able to set the motion alarm.  However, when hooking the foyer motion detector back to the "original state", was NOT able to set the alarm no matter what the wiring was for the basement motion detector.

Based on this trial, I am assuming that the foyer motion detector is fried and needs to be replaced, but not the one in the basement. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks!

DEL Installations
    Participant

Now with the foyer detector "jumped" out, try the basement unit to see if it functions appropriately when tested.

I'd replace (at minimum) the foyer detector, however given the information about the surge and hit, I'd really replace both units and take the time to invest in some better quality detectors, since the Auroras are base level entry units.

turbomte

After disconnecting the foyer detector and leaving the basement detector in tact, the basement detector does function when testing and alarming; however only from approaching the stairs from one side of the basement. I think I may have adjusted the leveling by mistake when I was disconnecting the wires so it only starts beeping when I approach the basement stairs from one side and not the other.

Not sure exactly what to do regarding that. I did open up the box and slid the level down a bit, but did not do the trick.

So, I should at least purchase one motion detector for foyer and possibly another for the basement – if I could straighten the leveling out, I think I would be ok though.

Any motion detector recommendation for the foyer?

Thanks,

DEL Installations
    Participant

You can pick up another 998 quite economically and have a straight swap, I just wouldn't spend too much for it.

If the detector is mounted 6.5~7' then the board should be set to the line below -10 on the scale.

If 7~7.5' then it should be set for the line before -15.

SCT

Do you have pets? DS835i !

turbomte

The motion detector in the basement is between 7 and 7.5' high. When you say before -15, do you mean to set it above or below the -15 indicator on the left hand side. Also, does this adjustment affect the left and right side as well, or just the height. The detector is located on the far right hand side of the stairs as you are coming down. When approaching the stairs in that direction, works ok. When approaching the stairs from the other side (i.e. left side), the detector does not go off.

DEL Installations
    Participant

lower numerically than -15.

If you are experiencing coverage issues that weren't apparent before, I'd look at enviroment, then detector adjustment.

Sometimes a relocation or different detector may gain better coverage and performance, but sight unseen I can't truly give an answer besides setting the unit up for the installation specs.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.