Home Forums Ademco Technical Questions comm. failure vista 20P alpha keypad

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  white06lacrossecxs 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

ken123

I tried to connect to a monitoring service a couple of days ago and am getting comm.failure message. The tech gave the keypad instructions to follow and still could not connect. They  put me on hold until Monday. The system  is working but not dialing out. I do have a dial tone on the phone.I don't know if the problem is with the phone service equipment, which is optical cable, or in the panel. The wiring was done exactly as per directions which came with the new panel.  Also, I would like to add  more motion sensors and be able to bypass some of them individually . Thanks for your help.

Fishlips25
    Participant

When you set off the alarm to test do your house phones go dead?

What kind of motions do you want to add? wireless?

Radiotrack1

If you recently changed to cable for your phone service they may have wired the alarm incorrectly

ken123

the wires to the phone jack are as the wiring diagram instructed. I got a dial tone on the phone as the alarm was going off. does that mean the line is not being captured by the alarm? As for the motion sensors I am going to use both wired and wireless. There are a couple of places that would be very difficult to run wires. Also ,on motion sensors should they not be facing a window? If so, that will be a problem with wiring. I don't think that the phone co ever touched the panel or the phone jack. As far as I know its wired in the original configuration when it was installed.Thanks PS about ten minutes ago the alarm keypads started beeping about six times then stopped. I looked to see if any codes were there and there was a comm failure message. does the panel warn occasionally about the comm. failure? it never did this before. the system wasn't armed at the time.

Fishlips25
    Participant

The alarm is supposed to have line seizure and it will disconnect your house phone when the alarm goes off. Since it isn't you must have a wiring issue with the phone line. Being that your phone line comes from a cable modem make sure that the phone company properly wired the phone line into the alarm and didn't just plug your house phone directly into the cable modem. I've seen this happen many times and this of course will eliminate the alarm from working over the phone line.

It's always better to not aim a motion directly at a window. Most motions can't see through a window but they can see reflections and things like blinds or shades moving.

It's normal to see the com fail on the keypad even when it is disarmed.

ken123

So this is a wiring issue then? There is a cable modem in the house but the phone isn't connected to it. The phone connects outside the house and there is a backup battery in the garage. Which by the way doesn't work during a power outage. Occasionally my phones stop working and I have to reboot the modem. Flash…. the last time I got a phone/cable hookup they left one wire hanging out of the box on the side of the house, could this be the wire connecting to the alarm panel??? Also how do I add another motion. What must be typed in at  the keypad to add the new wired motion?

Fishlips25
    Participant

You'll have to do the best you can and try to trace the phone wire from the alarm phone jack in the alarm panel box to wherever it goes from there. Most likely it does goto the out side phone box. Once you find it we can troubleshoot better from there.

In order to program the motion you will need the installer code and installation manual. Look in the sections to the left 'Ademco Security Alarm FAQs' for how to get the Installer's code and 'Ademco Manuals' for downloading the Installation manual. You'll need to study the installation manual a little. Once you know what zone the motion will be on we can help you better.

ken123

I found three 4-wire phone cables outside of the phone co box. none of them are hooked up. two of them are joined together and one of those seems to be the one going to my alarm panel. So that issue is solved. I am getting a new phone service next week and they will have to sort out the wire issues. In the meantime can I open that box and hook those wires up? There is a user access door but there are no wire terminals in there. Maybe if I open the service access door there will be some wire terminals to hook up to. I don't see any phone wires coming in or going out of that box. This is a FIOS box. I'm going back to Verizon next week but would like to see if I can get the alarm to work before then. Thanks

Fishlips25
    Participant

There normally should be wire terminals on the user side of the box. Seems that possibly that box has been abandoned. You may just want to wait for the phone company. They have the correct equipment to test out all the phone wires.

ken123

Thanks, I'll have to wait for the phone co. I'm going to reroute these wires inside of the house, where they should have been in the first place.

ken123

New development on wiring problem. Upon close examination of the wires and tracing each wire, I found that all of them are connected to the phone system. The wires are connected the same way that they were connected to my old panel and the phone lines were not changed. Is there a different method for wiring  the phone between a Napco and a Vista 20P? The wires outside of the house , although not connected to the telco box run up to the attic where they are all connected to a junction block.  Everything alarm and phone related is wired the way it was with the old panel. Could there be some programing issue overlooked?

Fishlips25
    Participant

Ok ken,

Your setup sounds a little different from what the pros normally do. Normally we will run a wire from the alarm jack directly to the outside phone box. Normally our wire has four conductors red/black/green/yellow. We normally at the outside phone box tie the red and green conductors to the incoming phone source wire (main telephone line) then we normally tie the black and yellow conductors to the outgoing phone wires (house phones). Then at the alarm jack we tie the red and green conductors to the red and green of the alarm jack and the black and yellow conductors to the brown and gray of the alarm jack. This creates line siezure so that when the alarm goes off it will disconnect the house phones and have no problems dialing to the monitoring company.

Being that you have no line siezure when your alarm goes off tells me that the alarm isn't tied into your phone line correctly or at all. If you had a voltmeter you could measure across the phone terminals at the alarm panel to see if you get voltage. Normally depending on the phone service it will measure 50 volts dc.

We had the same problem with our VISTA 20 and our cable phone service tech wired the box wrong. A sales rep for our alarm company was at our house activating our system (we lived in the house 6 months before activating alarm monitoring) he said its typical for cable companies to do this. Rather than playing in the telco box, he just switched around the wires on the panel and it works fine with no issues.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.