Home Forums DSC Technical Questions DSC 1864 Initial Installation

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Tonze 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dallas
    Participant

Hi Folks!

First off let me tell you how wonderful it was to stumble across this forum!  It seems perfect for what I want to do.

I am not exactly a newbie, I have played with the last three alarm systems I've owned and done some programming of them, but I've never actually installed one myself.  I now find myself in a new house and am wanting to install one almost from scratch.

I'd gladly hire someone to do this for me if I could find a trustworthy person, and this is the main reason I want to do this myself.

My house has a current alarm system in it, although very basic and very old (DSC Classic PC1555) with a door contact, a single PIR, siren, keypad and that's about it.  So I have some wiring in place, but I want to rip all this out and install a completely new DSC 1864 system with both wired and wireless, but will keep the esisting wiring in place and use it as there is nothing wrong with the wires already run in the walls etc.

I have read with great interest the posts in the DSC FAQ's and particularily the ones posted by Ken_In_Pittsburgh.  His information seems easy to undrstand and straigh forward.

So I have almost all the new DSC equipment to do the install, I just need some initial help with the actual 1864 board.

I have a new can, and a new 1864 board in its sealed container and just took it out tonight to look at it closer.

I think I can figure out the first few connectors…the AC and BELL, obviously for the AC power connection and the siren.  Not sure what the AUX is for.  Then there is a RED, BLK, YEL, GRN and it goes on and on.

It is here that I need my initial help, to get the board properly wired.

Can someone point me in the right direction…OR…is this something I should be getting a professional to do?

I'm not sure if once the wires are all in place if it's as simple as following Ken_In_Pittsburgh's instructions and use the keypad to start programming the system.  Is it really just that simple??  Or do I need some other software hooked to a computer to get the thing running first?

I'll wait for some answers to this first, and then move on from there.

I do have a couple of other quick questions though…

1.  Is CAT5 wire suitable for the runs for wired PIR's etc. or should I be using some sort of other wire?

2.  The 1864 board comes with a bunch of "resitors" or something…straight wires with resistors in the middle…not sure what these are for?  Can someone help?

That's if to for now.  Thank you to everyone who contributes to this.

D.

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds as though you're ready to tackle this project. You said:
    The truth is that once all of the wires, sensors, etc. are in place, the only remaining task is programming. But that's not to say it's simple. The difficulty of programming will depend largely upon your learning style and how you approach things. Most of your questions can be answered by studying the Install Manual and the Reference Manual, along with our FAQ's and tutorials. You don't need a computer or software, although it can be done that way. If all installations were identical, it would be very easy to give you a step-by-step, foolproof programming sequence. But every house and family are unique; the difficulty, then, is not so much in learning how to program as in what to program so the system works the way you need it to work.

I'll take a stab at your initial questions and trust that you'll make every effort to learn as much on your own as you can.

First, the wiring really isn't that involved. You're correct: AC for power from the transformer, Bell for the siren. AUX provides auxiliary power; that is, power for motion detectors, glass breaks, etc. (any device that needs power to operate).
    RED, BLK, YEL, GRN is the keybus, a color-coded interface for conecting keypads, modules (like the wireless receiver), and pretty much any device that must communicate with the system by sending and receiving data, rather than simple electrical current.
    The Z and COM terminals are where the zones are connected.
    PGM's are programmable terminals that will either complete or break a circuit when certain events occur, depending upon how you program them.
    All that's left are the four telephone terminals.
    It's really not all that different from your 1555!

CAT5 is suitable electrically, but it's physically very fragile and is therefore not recommended for alarm use.

Resistors are used to supervise the wiring. Click here for an article on the use of resistors. (The link is not working properly, so you'll have to scroll down after going to that page.)

See if that gets you started.

–Ken

Tonze

Hi to Ken in Pittsburgh, first of let say that it is Christmas eve here in Cape Town & I don't think I will receive a reply for a couple of days however here goes.I have just completed the installation of a DSC

Hi Tony,

Tonze

Thanks Ken, I have managed to sort out most of the problems.> Installer code sorted & remains 5555 for now> All keypads working ok > All PIRs including the Micro/IR ones working ok after the walk test etc> The module gives me the additional 8 zones but I cannot see anything in that is connected in the module> The Tamper fault has been cleared TAM-BLK jumper on the module as I don't have a switch in the circuit> The system will arm & disarm using the user code (1234 for now)> THE PROBLEM is the 8 zones in the module that has magnetic door switches (some home run & allocated a zone each & others connected together then one wire back to the panel as a separate zone)

Tonze

Hi Ken there is one other issue that is less important at the moment however I would to have some help on & that is the labeling of the zones using the LCD keypad. I have searched for this info but I think my eyes are looking at each other at the moment & can't find that info.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.