Home Forums ITI and GE Technical Questions GE Concord Express

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DEL Installations 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

robert

I had a GE Concord Express alarm system (professionally ???) installed in Sept. 2004.  The system stopped working.  The keypad doesn't even light up.  I did check the panel to see if it had power going to it and it does.  I was wondering what to check next.  How do I check the keypad?  I have a basic multimeter.  I am extremely inexperienced so please be patient and basic with me.  I would like to try to diagnose it myself, if no luck then I will look for advice on how to find someone to come out and repair the system.  Because of the experience with the installer I will look for someone else.  Thanks in advance for any help!

DEL Installations
    Participant

By checking to see if it has power to it, are you referring to AC power from the transformer, or if the outlet it's plugged into has 110V?

Barring that, you'll need to check for AC at the panel (check schematic), then DC ouput on the aux power supply.

It could be anything, including a bad panel, blown fuse, or even simply a loose or broken wire somewhere.

Keep in mind, pay attention to what is attempting to be metered, as component and meter damage can result if not careful.

robert

Dave,

Thank you for your reply.  Yes, I have checked the power supply at the panel (17.1VAC, the wiring diagram says it should be 16.5) and checked the voltage coming from the back up battery.  I am concerned that it may be the panel.  Are you able to explain to me where to go from here?  How do I check the panel?  How do I check the keypad (I am thinking/hoping that it could be the keypad because from the time it was installed the display had a "dark" area and was hard to read.  Thanks again for your input.

DEL Installations
    Participant

check the panel's aux power output for 12~13 VDC.

You can power down the panel and check the wiring from the pad to panel for shorts or opens as well (requires a little cut and splicing).

I can't remember if the express had fuses or not since it's been a few years since I put one in.

Without a second, known working keypad, it's tough to narrow down which unit may be bad.

Also, the panel's keypads are 'learned' by the panel upon power up, so not sure what to say if you had one.

Unfortunately, it's tough to narrow down which is bad based on components alone, since they're co-dependent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.