Home Forums Ademco Technical Questions How to find / reset authorized user code in Ademco 6270

This topic contains 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Security101 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

asinghji
    Participant

Hi,I just purchased a new house which is pre-wired and configured with this Ademco 6270 system, with 2 keypads. While i was playing with the system i accidently armed it, and the alarms starting going off once i tried to open my main door. At this, i unplugged the power cord to the main console, which stopped all the alarms. Now i need to know how can i reset or obtain the authorized user code for this system. I don't see any users created for the system but there are all the proper partitions and zones etc setup, which seem like working. I don't want to change anything other then just obtain / reset the authorized user code. Please advise if there is way to get this done, on my own.thanks in advance for any help

Repairguy
    Keymaster

Welcome.

The 6270 is a keypad that is compatable with several different Ademco alarm panels.  Depending on the panel, there may not be a way to disarm it without the code.  Look in the FAQ's section for instructions on how to determine panel type and how to reset installer and user codes.  You will need atleast one installed and active standard keypad to be able to attempt this as the touchscreens do not start up quick enough when system is reset.

Feel free to post back with any questions you may have on the matter.

asinghji
    Participant

I checked and the alarm panel i have is Ademco Vista 128BP. Thanks for the tip about using instructions in FAQ, I will try those tonight and post the outcome.

asinghji
    Participant

Well nothing seemed to work so i gave up and called the technician and he fixed only one 6270 pad and said the other one (which was showing ECP Error – Panel not available) was broken. But after using the system for like a week today the second touchpad also started showing same ECP Error – Panel not available. I have tried to change the ECP address in Advanced Settings to 1, 2 and 16 and everytime the touchpad has rebooted but it again shows the same error. I called the technician and he said may be both the touchpads are ok but the board is not working. I don't think he is sure about the issue. As if i open any door the alarms go off and i have to manually disconnect the power to the system to shut the alarms and then reconnect it back to try any ecp address changes etc.

Please guide me as this is driving me nuts. I have already paid the technician and he is asking for more money to come and take a look, so i want to solve it on my own.

asinghji
    Participant

While searching in the user guide i noticed following:

"The message “ECP Error” will be displayed at the top of the screen (except for
    the Home screen) when the 6270 cannot communicate with the alarm panel.
    This may be caused by and incorrect ECP address in the 6270 or because AUI
    type devices have not been enabled in the panel. While this message is being
    displayed, you must use the 6270 default code of “4140” any time the 6270
    requests an authorized code."

As according to same guide the ECP address for 6270 for residential use is either 1 or 2 and i tried to change both and they don't work even after the 6270 touchcenter rebooted.

I tried pressing *189 then 1 and 1 but that too does not work and i keep on seeing "Open Ckt." when i console mode.

Please advise.

Security101
    Keymaster

asinghji
    Participant

Hi Jim,

No i donot have a regular keypad other then the 6270 Touchcenters. I tried at my local stores like Menards and Lowes but they don't keep any of these regular keypads. If some regular keypad is absolutely necessary to fix this, any idea where can i get those and which version/model you recommend?

thanks a lot

ASinghji

rvt
    Keymaster

I would go online and type in either  ademco or honeywell 6160 ( they are both the same thing ) and you will find  dozens of them for sale ( new should not be over about $90.00 ) , look around and there are a lot  of supliers out there

asinghji
    Participant

Thanks for that tip, i have placed an order for the 6160 keypad and it should arrive in a few days.

Till it arrives could you please provide me with the next steps on how to fix this "ECP Error – Panel not Available" using the new 6160 keypad and enable my existing 6270 touchcenters.

many thanks for all your time.

asinghji
    Participant

Hi,

I have received the 6160 keypad now. Please let me know what to do next to fix the ECP error.

thanks a lot

asinghji
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I have now connected the new 6160 regular keypad and after restarting the system i pressed 1 and 3 to change the default ECP address but no matter what address i enter and press * the screen shows empty. I also restarted couple of times. The new ECP addresses (like 01, 16, 17) i tried are saved fine. I am stuck, please advice what to do now.

thanks

asinghji

Alarmtech
    Participant

I think by default 00,01,02,03 are all active addresses for standard keypads. Try one of those thats not used by something else already connected.

asinghji
    Participant

Once i change the address to any of 00, 01, 02 or 03 what do i do next to check if any of those works. that is after changing the ECP address the screen just becomes blank, so how do i check that this new ECP address is working. Please advise.

thanks

Alarmtech
    Participant

Check, double check, and re-check your wiring and connections. Still no luck? Disconnect everything else from the keypad bus and retry. You may have a short on the key bus, which would explain why you have the ECP error to begin with.

asinghji
    Participant

Great man!!! You guys rock.

I just tried ECP code 00 and it worksss  ;D. Then i connected the 6270 and wow that works too.

Only thing i was unable to achieve was i could not connect both the 6270 touchcenters even after trying to enable AUI by pressing *189 then 1 and 1. nothing happened after i put 6270 back and it was still showing ECP error, so i gave up and just reconnected my lovely new 6160. So now both my keypad (new 6160 and 6270 touchcenter) work fine.

Hats off too you guys for not giving up on me.

great help guys!! I will make sure i help someone on this forum too.

many thanks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.