Home Forums DSC Technical Questions Installer Code Reset & reprogram DSC PC580 w RF5501-403, PC5508Z Keypad

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ken_in_Pittsburgh 5 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

apharcha
    Participant

I moved into an existing house we moved in 18months ago that had a DSC PC580 controller pad with PC5508Z LED Keypad. I was able to plead to previous owners & obtained Master Code to system but don't have an Installer code.  Ihave tried basic installer codes like 1234, 1555, 1500, 5555 but to no avail! I need help to get the DSC Installer Code Reset and reprogram the unit after the system default programming is restored.

The system has one wired Motion sensor, 6 external wire door contacts, a keypad, a classic wired Red Panic button in Master bedroom & a fire/bell siren.  I don't find any end of line resistors installed on the controller pads.  The unit is currently programmed & in working condition with a battery backup & phone connection over VOIP. The system is not serviced by monitoring and faults with trouble.

In order to expand more motion coverage, I decided to add motion sensors for more coverage.  Since I don't want to drill & run wires, I chose to go wireless route, with receiver/keypad RF5501-403 and Wireless motion sensor WM/PIR F2-200.  I replaced PC5508Z keypad with RF5501-403 keypad for a standard PC5132 receiver and an LCD5501Z keypad.  I still need to install wireless PIR motion sensor but have been unable to program the RF5501-403 since I don't have the installer code.  I would also like to add the PC5508Z LED keypad with Red Panic button in Master that has a 4strand unused wiring already run.

I read through several forum messages to read up on how to default the DSC controller pad & how to verify if infact unit could be reset. One such message points out:

Note:  If a series of 10 clicks are heard from a relay on the printed
    circuit board when applying power, it indicates that the board is
    locked and cannot be defaulted.
    –>

When I power up with battery disconnected I hear about 5-6clicks from relay, not 10. So I would think it could be defaulted but I would need to know how to re-program the system.

I need to know if defaulting the system should be my best option and what steps I would need to re-program the system to current state and add all units including the new Wireless PIR/Wired Motion and add both keypads back. Any help you can provide would go long ways in helping re-program the system back up & get the unit working once I default the PC580.

I have not done programming of Controller pad and I'm not a security professional by no means.  However, I have worked with some programming on Ademco 50P in previous house but that seemed much trivial than what DSC requires.  I have tried going through Instruction Manual for PC580 but don't think I have sufficient info to reprogram  and don't know what complications to expect.

Any help you can offer me in getting the DSC Installer Code & programming reset will be greatly appreciated!

The number of clicks is not as important as the fact that it IS clicking. That is the sound the phone line relay repeatedly attempting to establish its normal operating state. It cannot do that, indicating that lockout is enabled; you must replace the board. Considering that the PC580 is an older system, and that you can get a new PC1616 for less than 60 bucks or a PC1832 for under 70, that shouldn't be considered bad news. Your 5501 and 5508 keypads will be compatible with the new system, as will all the sensors. And since the keypads have a panic function built in, you needn't bother with the separate panic button (although you can still use it if you wish).

–Ken

apharcha
    Participant

Thanks for the good/bad news Ken! :-) I'd be fine going with PC1832. Would you suggest where I can buy just the board without buying the whole system? To replace to new board could you tell me how what programming I would need to enable on the new board.

I've sent you a Personal Message with the forum's list of recommended online retailers.

You should take a look at "How To Program A DSC System" to get some help on programming. There really isn't all that much that needs to be programmed, and you'd have to do the same thing if you were able to default your present system.

–Ken

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.