Home Forums Moose Technical Questions Low battery alarm moose z1100

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  awd_roger 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

awd_roger
    Participant

My system is a plain Z1100 vintage ~1986
    Roughly three weeks ago I received a low battey alarm, flashing power led on keypad. The battery OCV was 2.75V. I could not detect a voltage on the battery cables (Battery disconnected)
    I recharged the battery offline, replaced it and everthing ran for ~3 wks.
    The battery alarm just went off again, this time the battery OCV is 11.0 and the cables show 0.016v.
    The battery is roughly 2 years old.
    Is the charging ciruit at fault, or could this be a battery fault?
    Roger

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum Roger.

Check the fuses on the board.  If the AC into the board is ~ 18 V, with a little luck, a new battery and a fuse just might do the trick.

While the average useful life of the batteries is 3 – 5 years they can go south a lot sooner.

Let us know.

awd_roger
    Participant

Old EW Tech,
    thanks for the reply and greeting.
    All four fuses  I could see are intact. Input voltage is 19.6AC. Battery OCV now 10.95, no voltage on charge leads. The low voltage alarm did not reoccurr after I turned the system back on (turned off to remove and check fuses).
    Do you know at what voltage the system declares a low, and do you understand why there is no voltage on the battery leads; should not the system be trying to charge if it thinks the battery is low?
    Thanks for your help
    Awd_Roger

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

The system will test the battery 24 hours after powering up and you will get a low battery indication if the battery voltage is below ~ 11 – 11.2 VDC.

You are correct, the system provides a float charge for the battery and you should read about 13.7 VDC on the leads from the battery charger.

Since the low voltage AC is OK and the fuses are good, the charging circuit is probably defective and you are looking at replacing the panel.

awd_roger
    Participant

Old EW Tech,
    you seem to have confirmed my worst fear. Do you know a source of Moose parts, or can you recommend a replacement board to look for.  I am not an EW Tech, swapping like for like is well within my capability, however when I started reading the specs on the new Elk models it looked a little daunting. (Moose and now Elk are based within 10 miles of here).

Again thanks for your sage advice
    Awd_Roger

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Replacing the Z1100 board would be the easiest (and cheapest) solution; however, you would have to program the replacement to “fit” your installation and programming the old Moose systems for the first time can be a daunting task.

If you think that you would like to update/upgrade your system, this would be the time to do so.  Since your wiring and sensors are in place and (presumably) functional, replacing your system with a DSC, Ademco or Elk would not be all that difficult.  I’m sure that you would find any assistance that you might require with the effort here on the forum.

As to sources for a replacement Z1100 board, they are usually available on eBay at very reasonable prices.

If you opt for replacing the board with another Z1100 rather than updating, the best solution would be to find someone who is within a short drive, has a spare board and is willing to swap chips on the boards for you so reprogramming is not necessary.  Ideally they should be a member of the forum and willing to do it at no charge.

;D

awd_roger
    Participant

I can not say THANKS loud enough for all the help I have received both on the forum and in terms of personal messages and phone assistance.
    If only my alarm company were as competant and responsive!
    My system is back up and working.

This is a fantastic organization, staffed by some amazingly generous individuals.

THANKS
    Roger
    ;D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.