Home Forums Moose Technical Questions Moose Z1100 problem

This topic contains 19 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Old EW Tech 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Indydad

We moved into a house with a Moose Z1100 that is about 20 years old. I have both the User and Installation Manuals for it. It is a three-keypad system with both internal and external alarms. I purchased a new battery for it and it is hooked up. The problem is that when the power switch to the unit is turned on, both the internal and external alarms go off. Keypad commands seem to do nothing. I tried to reprogram using the program switch (turn off power, close switch, restore power), but both alarms still go off and keypad commands still seem to do nothing. Any help towards solving this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum.

What model Z1100 is it (System I, System II or Z1100e)?
    What are the keypad indications?
    Do you have the User Code?

Reprogram what?  It's best stay out of programming for the time being.  :)

Indydad

It is a System I. The alarm goes on and off in about 5 second intervals. When it is on (that is, when it is sounding), the lights individually flash from the bottom to the top, with the exception of the Armed and Ready lights. When the alarm is silent for about 5 seconds, only the power light is illuminated.

I do have the code (9-8-7-6-5). I'll stay out of programming for now. Thanks.

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Yes, that is the Default Program Authorization code.

You said that "keypad commands still seem to do nothing" so we assume that you have a valid User Code, is this correct?

Did you try to disarm (1 + User Code)?
    Do you get a recognition beep when a key is pressed?
    How many wires are connected to terminals 13, 14, 15 and 16 on the circuit board?
    Do these wires appear secure?

Try pressing * on each of the keypads (rarely works but it's easy and worth a try).

There could be more than one issue here and it might be necessary to do a little programming.  :)

Let us know the answers to the above first and we'll move on from there.

Indydad

The code as written in the user manual was 9-8-7-6-5. I assume it is valid but have no way of knowing.

There is no recognition beep when a key is pressed. I did try to disarm with no luck. Also tried pressing  * on each keypad with no luck.

There are three wires on each of the 13, 14, 15, and 16 terminals (in order, black, red, green, and yellow) and they are secure.

I did notice that there is no ground wire attached to terminal 19, and there is no loose wire in the bundle that should be attached there. Thanks again!

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Indydad

I Connected the keypad to the board as suggested and the same thing happens: the alarms go off and the keypad lights flash as described below. I did check continuity from the keypad location that was removed and the board, and all 4 leads check out OK. I will plan to check continuity between the other two keypads and the board and between the pad locations, if this will help, tomorrow.

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

If everything is disconnected from Data Bus except for the single keypad and you are still getting the same results, it sounds like you're going to need a replacement board.

There are quite a few Z1100 boards around; try posting a "want" on the forums For Sale or Looking to buy board.  They go across eBay regularly (buyer beware).

Indydad

I finally connected the other two keypads directly to the board (checking for the possibility that one of the keypads might be bad) but got the same response for all three. Is there anything else to try before getting a new board? Thanks.

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Just to make sure that we are on the same page, you removed ALL of the wires from terminals 13, 14, 15 and 16 and then connected one of the keypads to those terminals with a short piece of cable (observing color code), right?

You can try entering and exiting programming as described in the following topic:

Z1100 blinking light–memory error

Let us know the results.

Indydad

Yes, I removed all of the wires from terminals 13, 14, 15, and 16 before directly connecting the keypads to the board, observing color codes.

I tried entering and exiting programming as described, but nothing changed – both alarms still go off when power is restored in programming mode.

Looking around at other posts, apparently there should be conductivity between terminal 15 and pin j10. I get none. There is conductivity between Terminal 15 and several pins below pin j10. I don't know if this helps troubleshoot anything or not. Thanks again.

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

While rare, the terminal strips do fail.  You should have continuity between terminal 15 and pin 3 of J10 (3rd down from top) and between terminal 16 and pin 4.  There is no need to check other terminals/pins.

If you do not have continuity as described, take a look at the following post:

Low battery ? bad board on z1100e

You will be looking for similar issues but relating to terminals 15 or 16.

Let us know. 

Indydad

My error – I was using J12 rather than J10. I do have continuity between terminal 15 and pin 3, and terminal 16 and pin 4, of J10.

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

I thought that might be the case.  :)

As stated, they do fail but it's pretty rare.

Indydad

I presume that a "new" system board is in order at this time, correct?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.