Home Forums System Recommendations, System Design New Install (DSC) Siren and Power Help

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Peiloy 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Peiloy
    Participant

I am getting ready to order a DSC1864. I want to have an indoor and outdoor siren but I am concerned about the maximum current output of the alarm. The sirens are:Indoor: SD15W: 350mAOutdoor: ELK150RT: 1.2 Amps or 700 mA on Millimiser.I know that the panel is rated 700mA continuous or 2A for a short period.If I use both sirens how long will this short term be, and what will happen after this time elapses? Also should I use the millimiser setting? I assume that this means that the siren will not be as loud.Lastly this will be mostly wireless sensors, but I will have some wired ones. Do I have to add the current draw of the sensors to the sirens? If not what is the maximum draw allowed for the sensors?Thanks for the help!

piepie

The 2 amps is provided mostly by the battery, with some help when it has AC power. In a power outage the battery provides all power.
    So
    You have a 1.5 amp draw when both are running at full power
    I assume you are using a 4AH 12v SLA battery.
    4ah/1.5amp draw= 2.6666 Hours
    Of course there will be other current draw so you should expect 2 hours of siren run time. Most people program their system to have a 10-20minute siren cutoff so you should be fine with your current setup.

DEL Installations
    Participant

Pie,

You calcs and assesment of current draw is not true. Be careful with what you're putting out there.

A panel with a 4aH battery will not run for 4 hours at 1A current draw…there's far more complex values to throw out there. Also, I'd shoot someone if they had their bell timeouts at 10-20 minutes.

Peiloy
    Participant

I was thinking of putting the siren timeout somewhere between 4-6 mins. Will I be ok with a 4 Ah battery? Also what will happen if the battery dies before that time is up?

Peiloy
    Participant

Also I am thinking of incorporating this heat sensor for my kitchen. http://www.systemsensor.com/products/conv/?UniqueID=140

I think that it draws 1 amp but I am not sure. I am guessing that the panel will not have enough power for it, so is there a way to use it at all?

I would have gone wireless, but since its in my kitchen I need a heat only sensor as I think smoke would be aa problem and DSC does not seem to make heat only sensors. If I am thinking of this in a wrong way please let me know.

dilligaff
    Participant

The sys sensor heat det is a mechanical device and draws no current. Connect it to a zone programmed as type 08 and install a 5.6K eol at the detector.

Peiloy
    Participant

Thanks Dilligaff. One more question on this heat sensor. I thought that it would have to wire to a PGM contact so that in case it trips I would be able to reset it? Am I wrong in thinking this?

dilligaff
    Participant

The reset for the heat detector depends on the detector. Fixed temp heat detectors can be resettable or 1 shot devices which after being tripped once must be replaced. The heat detector That you are thinking or using is a 1 shot device. After the detector trips it will have to be replaced.

Heat detectors are mechanical devices that require no power for device operation and can be installed on a zone of your panel

Smoke detectors require power for operation and are re-settable by removing power after the smoke clears. The purpose of using PGM2 for smoke detectors is to provide both power and a way to interrupt power to reset the smoke detector using 2 wire detectors. If you use 4 wire detectors you would use PGM 2 programmed as as smoke power reset for power and connect the smoke detector contacts to a panel zone programmed as type 08 and use a 5.6K eolr.

Peiloy
    Participant

Ahh that makes sense now.  So if I were to use a two wire smoke and PGM2, would PGM2 also monitor or is it solely for reset and power? If a two wire cannot be monitored then wouldn't a four wire be a better option?

dilligaff
    Participant

PGM2 can do either resettable power for 4 wire smoke det with the smoke det tripping panel zones or 2 wire smoke det which get their power from PGM2 and trip the system fire zone by PGM2 and are supervised by PGM2.

Peiloy
    Participant

Thanks Dilligaff!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.