Home Forums DSC Technical Questions PC1832 – Communicator Format w/ Vonage and lack of handshake

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CTD 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

CTD
    Participant

http://www.diyalarmforum.com/board/index.php?topic=13320.0

I replied to this old thread last night, but it apparently got deleted because it was > 30days old even though there were no responses to it originally.  So, I'm re-asking the question now.

I'm basically experiencing the exact same thing as Ranger_Rick in that my PC1832/RFK5501 is working perfectly except for the Communicator Format.  The panel will only dial out if I set it to SIA.  Neither Residential or Private Line work.  Also having the same issue of not being able to provide a handshake to the panel once I answer.  I've since reduced the # of dialing attempts to one, but would still be interested in getting Format 06 or 09 to work properly or to get the handshake to happen.  Having Trouble Code 4 permanently lit up (unless I hard power-cycle) is a minor annoyance as well, but one I can live with since I won't be testing the system going forward so if my phone rings when no one is supposed to be home…  ::)

Thanks in advance for any insight.  This Forum was invaluable before, during, and after my install!

-cd

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

CTD
    Participant

I followed that guide to the "T" or else I'd probably would've never gotten to this mostly good state. :)
    Used 01, 02, 03, etc. for each zone in terms of reporting codes.

Any insight regarding the panel not recognizing the handshake?

If I can get Res Dial to work, the lack of handshake is a non-issue because the panel won't flag a trouble code.

Thanks once again!

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

There are a number of variables involved:  Programming, Vonage and the equipment that is being dialed.

The panel defaults to Automatic Reporting Codes when SIA format is selected.  You can try Contact ID with and without Contact ID Automatic Reporting Codes.  Obviously it won’t get a handshake; however, if it dials successfully with the automatic codes then it could be a programming issue (see Communicator Options).

Vonage is known to have issues.  It may work for some and not for others or it may work intermittently.

If you are dialing to a cell phone, the phone may not be providing the tones that the panel requires.

More information would be helpful.

CTD
    Participant

At the end of the day, I'm sure it's the nuances of VoIP/Vonage that's the root of my problems, but I'll still hold out hope.  Also, the panel is dialing out to an iPhone4.

Full details/settings:

PC1832/RFK5501
    5 zones in play
    Seizure obtained via use of a BW-1 connector – male RJ11 of BW-1 -> Vonage box; femail RJ11 of BW-1 into home phone; 4-wire conductor to Ring/Tip/R1/T1 of BW-1 -> other end connected to equivalents on the panel

DxxxxxxxxxxF
    DxxxxxxxxxxF
    040 (default/didn't touch)
    01 02 03 04 05
    04 (this is the problem child)
    Tel #1 ON (default/didn't touch)
    default/didn't touch
    Comms Enabled (default/didn't touch)

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Your first post indicates that the panel dials out successfully when Section 350 is programmed with 04 (SIA).

The programming described in the above post should result in the same (panel dials, SIA format).  Are you saying that it does not function with that programming or that it won’t function if Section 350 is changed to 06?

CTD
    Participant

That is correct.  I have two problems.

1. The panel will ONLY dial out if set to SIA vs Res Dial (06) or Private Line (09).  The problem with this setting is that I can't handshake w/ the panel after I answer from my iPhone4.  If the handshake problem can be resolved, I'm fine w/ leaving it at SIA.

2. Why Res Dial or Private Line won't work when leaving all other settings the same.  If I can get Res Dial to work, then the handshake problem is a non-issue because the panel won't log a trouble code if no handshake is received (that's what the manual said anyhoo).

Thanks for the continued help…

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

No, you can't resolve the handshake issue with SIA format.

Dialing is independent of format.  If the system is programmed as you indicated, it should dial out.

How are you checking it?
    Can you hear the relay on the board click when the system goes into alarm?
    Have you listened on the house phones to see if they go dead?
    Are you allowing for the transmission delay?
    What voltage do you have across the Ring and Tip terminals? 

CTD
    Participant

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Don’t be sidetracked by the earlier thread, given the information available, it’s impossible to determine that the issues are the same.

Ordinarily we would use a lineman’s butt set to monitor the panel’s activity from the Ring, Tip, R1 and T1 terminals on the board; however, the same information can be obtained by other means … just takes a little longer.

Let us know about the relay and the house phones and we’ll move on from there.

CTD
    Participant

Can't listen for the relay just yet.  Have to find a time when no one else is in the house, i.e. all the screeching tests are wearing thin on the fam. :)

House phone experiment completed… with SIA, line gets properly seized and my cell rings.  With either res dial or private line, no seizure.  Dial tone stays steady on my home phone.

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

The relay click is less important now that you have described the house phone activity.

Change Section 350 to 05, 05 (Pager) and see if it will dial out.

Change Section 350 to 03, 03 (CID) and Section 381, Option 7 to ON and see if it dials.

When testing, arm with your code and initiate alarm by violating an Instant Zone.

Let us know.

CTD
    Participant

No dice…

Pager (05, 05) -> no seizure
    CID (03, 03) w/ = 567 -> no seizure

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

OK, let’s cut to the bottom line.  As stated earlier, there are a number of possible issues: 

While a defective board is always a possibility, the “alternative phone service” is far more likely to be the culprit.

You are probably aware of the following suggestion from Vonage:

Obviously, that is the preferred solution.  A voice dialer would be a less reliable work-around.

CTD
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.