Home Forums General Technical Questions Pre-wired Home Security System

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  renomike 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

renomike

My home I purchased several years ago was pre-wired for a security system.  I would like to install a hard wire system myself, such as an Ademco-Honeywell. 
    All the doors, two key pads locations, motion sensor and inside siren have been wired with a cable that has four wires (red, black, green and yellow).  The master bedroom closet has an electrical outlet and inside the outlet box is the same four wire cable.  I am certain that is where the control box is suppose to go!  My question is that shouldn't there be more cables and wires present which would connect to the control box?   

bulldogben
    Participant

Is the wire in an electrical box with a 120 receptacle if so that wire is for the power keep looking for bundle of wires somewhere else

renomike

Thanks for the response bulldogben!  Yes, its in a 120 recepticle.  The only thing I can think of is that the bundle of wires is probable inside the wall behind the sheetrock!  Do you know of a device to find hidden wires?  I really wouldn't want to be cutting into the sheet rock unless I need to.  I did check the crawl space under the area and attic above since luckily acess to these areas were in the same closet.

bulldogben
    Participant

first look in your closets and utility rooms for any unusual blank wall plates. kind of like the electrician was suppose to put an outlet but didnt. if you dont find any then start looking for a tone generator on the web.
    note: a good tone generator is usallay a little pricey but well worth it so if you must purchase one remeber you get what you pay for

renomike

Thank you!  bulldogben

renomike

Stupid me!  I found the box inside the closet.   It was mounted up high behind some clothing that concealed it.  Inside the recepticle box were 15 cables similar to the others (red,black, green and yellow wires) and one larger cable I presume is probable the cable to hook up a phone system.  My question now is how can you identify what each cable is for?  Since I counted eleven devices that use cables ( 7 doors, 1 motion sensor, 1 siren, 2 key pads ).  Any suggestions would be appreciated!   

bulldogben
    Participant

normally the wire are marked if not then its time to invest in a tone generator it will save you hours and headaches. good luck and keep us posted ;)

renomike

Thank you Bulldogben!

renomike

Update on my system.  I purchased the Honeywell Ademco Vista 15P kit.  The company I purchased from had pre-set up the key pad to include my master code, zones for (door contacts, motion sensor, indoor siren, etc.) and my cell phone number so the system can call me if the alarm was set off.  With the help of a tone generator that Bulldogben had suggested I got all the wires identified and the system works great!

My question now is if the alarm is tripped for some reason, does the alarm have a reset after a certain amount of time? I would think it would cause some damage to the system to have the key pad and siren activated for an extended amount of time!  Would appreciate your help on this question! 

Security101
    Keymaster

Glad to hear you got it going!

The siren will auto reset after the "siren time out" time set in programming. The system will as well but still show the alarm occurred when you get home.

Jim

renomike

Thanks for all your help and expertise.  Could not have done it with out you guys! 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.