Home Forums Ademco Technical Questions Program 5804 Keyfob to 6150rf Keypad on Vista-20

This topic contains 27 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  CJG62824 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

CJG62824
    Participant

I just ordered three 5804 keyfobs from eBay, so they are used and probably programmed to another system. From what I have turned up, it looks like they can be programmed using the 6160 keypad that I have, but the only wireless capabilities I have on my system are from the 6150rf, and I have no other wireless zones or keyfobs. I have looked at youtube videos, and the programming sheet for both the keypad and the keyfob. It looks and sounds like it should be really simple and I just can't figure out how to do it. Any guidance, (or step-by-step) instructions would be really really great. Thanks in advance! -Clayton

Guyfromhe

First you have to decide if you want to program the fobs locally into the 6150RF keypad this is more difficult because you don't have a real display to work with so I suggest you skip this unless you have used all your panel zones.

If you program the fobs into the panel with the 6160 it should be pretty straight forward.

I don't have a manual in front of me but basically you can use a template to program all 4 buttons at the same time in the zone programming menu *56

Then once the serial numbers are added to the system you need to create a user code / user number for each fob (outside of programming mode) and then enable the wireless fob attribute on that user also outside of programming mode… This info is in the standard user manual.

If you need the exact steps I can get them for you when I have some free time or someone else can post them… You may want to try posting in the Ademco/Honeywell section for a quicker response though.

CJG62824
    Participant

Okay, I was getting the impression that going directly into the 6150rf would be easier, but I would like to think using the 6160 would be much easier.  How do I utilize the wireless capabilities of the 6150 rf if I program the fobs into the system instead of only locally on the wireless keypad?

Guyfromhe

There are a lot of steps to programming it locally on the 6150RF and since it only shows numbers it can be a little confusing and it also requires you reset the keypad to make changes to it and makes it so you can't see what things you have programmed as it has no real display.

Do you know if the wireless receiver in the 6150rf is enabled?

Do you have the installer code for the system?

You can look at the install manual for the 6150RF and see if local programming is something you want to go with but I put all my fobs as zones in the panel.

I will grab a manual and post the steps if you need them once I know you have the receiver enabled and the installer code.

CJG62824
    Participant

Okay.  That would be great.  I do have the installer code and I am fairly sure I got as far as enabling the receiver.

Guyfromhe

I found this video series that will explain it to you:
    You should watch all 3 just so you understand all the concepts and choose which one you want to use. He explains it quite well.

I think the template method / expert mode is the best option for you because it's much easier than the rest.

This is programming in the panel with each button done manually:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u10BwJZ8qSQ

This is programming in the panel with a template:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0S9ChUgzJ0

This will show you how to program your key fobs locally on your 6150RF like you were talking about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yatXn6lR0yU

CJG62824
    Participant

Alright, so if I try the expert programming mode using the template I do that on the 6160, and will it automatically be using the wireless zones off the 6150rf, if the wireless receiver is turned on? How do I double check that it is on and will work?

Guyfromhe

Yes it's done on the 6160 (technically any keypad can be used)… It's programming a zone into the main panel just like any other zone…

All the programming is stored on the main panel not any of the keypads…

You could in theory replace all the keypads including the 6150RF and your fobs would still work… As long as the 6150 RF is connected to the system.

The 6150RF sends all received wireless signals to the main control panel regardless of if they are registered to your system or not.  The control panel ignores anything that has not been previously registered in zone programming…

!!!Remember to follow the steps at the end of the video to add a user code and enable the wireless attribute or it won't work!!!!

As far as checking if the receiver is on… I would program a fob and just see if it works… If it doesn't we'll cross that bridge…I think it's on by default..  It involves going into local programming on the 6150RF and I'd rather avoid having to do that if it's not needed.

CJG62824
    Participant

Well, I am thinking maybe something isn't right. I was able to follow that video all the way up to entering the SN of the remote, and the Pressing the * key to continue, i get one beep from the key pad that doesn't sound like the "things are going well" beep. However, I did notice this. While the 6150rf keypad was off the wall plate, when i pressed any button on the keyfob, there was a light on the mother board that would blink a few times, but it would only do that with one remote. This led me to believe that the reciever or whatever needed to be on was working… but now i'm not so sure.  :-\

Guyfromhe

I'll be home in 30 mins.. I have to look up the procedure for checking the rf receiver…

In the meantime check that the house Id in the panel is not set to 0

CJG62824
    Participant

I just looked and all of options in field 24 were set to 00, so I changed them all to 01, will that do the trick we need? I am headed out the door to go to work…. Should be home in about four and a half hours or so. I'll check back with you then. Thanks!

Guyfromhe

If that was 00 than Wireless was disabled on the panel…

If you did that and didn't get a check 100 than your wireless is probably working…

Program a fob and try it…

It sounds like it's already on and enabled in the system if the light was flashing when you pressed a key… I just looked at the 6150RF manual and it says the receiver is on by default and it's using the systems house ID so it should "just work"

CJG62824
    Participant

I didn't get the check 100 after I messed with the receiver ID code, but I just tried to re program a fob and I got the same long beep after trying to enter the SN. And the L at the end is giving me a dash instead of a number…. Is that an issue? What else can we try here? I really appreciate your help! This is frustrating.

Guyfromhe

You can check the settings on the 6150rf…

You need to reset it (or reset the panel)
    then press 1+3 right away to get the "oo"

press 2 and rA should show up.. this should be 00 if not set it to 00
    press * to continue
    press 6 and you should see r- make sure this is set to 1
    then press * and then * again to exit programming mode…  See what that does..

Stupid question… Can you arm/disarm the system from the 6150RF?

CJG62824
    Participant

Gotcha.  Well I should probably wait till tomorrow to do that  at this point.  But yes, I can!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.