Home Forums DSC Technical Questions Reset installer code on PC1616

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  DanG2 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

dallas123
    Participant

We just moved into a house with an existing DSC system, and I want to get it set up for monitoring, but first I want to add a few zones.  I have the master code, but not the installer code.  I tried 5010 and 5555, but no go.  Is there a way to reset the installer code without defaulting the system?

And thanks for this awesome forum, I've already learned a ton.

Welcome to the forum.

If your 1616 is version 4.2 or higher, you may be able to retrieve and then change the Installer's Code. Take look at this thread; you may find what you need. If your board is a version lower than 4.2, then you can't access anything without knowing the current Installer's Code. In that case, only a complete default (if Installer's Lockout hasn't been enabled) will give you control over the system.

–Ken

dallas123
    Participant

Thanks for the pointer.  I do have version 4.2, so hopefully that may work.  Could you send me the list of forum-recommended vendors?  Thanks.

Done!

–Ken

dallas123
    Participant

Ok, I installed the PC-LINK and DLS-IV, but I cannot connect.  :-<  I've rebooted the panel and my laptop and tested the COM port, but DLS-IV just times out when I try to upload the configuration.  I ran the updater and it says no updates.  Is there a step I could have missed?  The version on the panel is 4.23CP01, and I set the version in PC-LINK to 4.2CP01.

Thanks.

There are several possibilities. First, under Tools> Modem Manager Configuration, have you set "Type" to PC-Link? Second, under that same menu, have you tried different ports, starting with Port 1 and working your way up? Third, if your computer does not have a serial port, are you using the Keyspan USA-19H USB adapter? Finally, there is the chance that the original installer changed the Downloading Access Code on the system. If that code does not match the one in the DLS program, then the computer will not be able to connect. In that case, there is really no way into the system, other than defaulting (if possible) and reprogramming. Honestly, with DLS up and running, that shouldn't be too intimidating.

–Ken

dallas123
    Participant

Well, we've made some progress!  I successfully defaulted the system.  I can now get DLS IV to work, only if I initiate communications from the keypad each time.  That's not how it's supposed to work, is it?  It is a real pain because the panel is in the attic and obviously the keypads are not. 

At exactly what point in the process are you connecting the PC-Link?

–Ken

dallas123
    Participant

I have tried connecting the PC-Link and then doing a global upload and I have tried starting the global upload and then connecting it.

If you start the global upload and then connect the PC-Link, it should connect. Since you are able to connect via keypad initiation, that means that Downloading Access Code and Installer Code are correct, so there should be no reason for it to not connect automatically. On the other hand, exercise is always a good thing!  ;D

–Ken

DanG2
    Participant

I wonder, does this procedure work even when the board is locked (board relay clicks ~10 times at power-up)?  ???

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.