Home Forums ITI and GE Technical Questions Simon xt wireless siren?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ABLE1 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

froggy47
    Participant

System close to done. I made a decision that there is no end to how many sensors & backup sensors you can add, so for now it's all doors (5) and 2 motions upstairs/downstairs. I have a lot of at home neighbors that are also friends & would like to finish off with a loud siren, probably in one of the two garages.Is there one that is wireless & works with the XT?Thanks.

ABLE1
    Participant

??? Please describe how you expect a wireless siren to be installed and or powered??  Run it off of batteries??  How loud for how long??

You might consider sending an X10 command but then if the power is off how will the signals get there??

You might consider a radio signal but then you will need a transmitter and a receiver.  Receiver will need power.

Do you see a common word here??        "Power" is the word.

You will need power and power translates into needing to have wires.

Find a way to run some wire or re-think where you want that siren.

Good Luck!!

ABLE1

froggy47
    Participant

I was thinking the siren would have a/c power with maybe a backup (similar to what a control panel has). It would be located in a hard to access place (attic or garage) and would be loud and only need to last 2-4 min.

I don't know if it's possible with XT.

I think XT does have a wire siren terminal also.

Thanks.

ABLE1
    Participant

Ok, here is a list of challenges you are facing.

1)   You want LOUD.
    2)   You want the siren located in garage or attic.
    3)   The panel has a limited amount of output current for siren.
    4)   You will need a auxiliary power supply with battery backup.
    5)   You will need a Siren Driver or a Speaker with built in Driver.
    5)   You will need to get at least a 2 conductor wire to a slave relay at Aux. PS to trigger siren.

You might be try a X10 Power Flash to trigger the slave relay but will still need the Aux. PS to make it work.

Where did you mount the panel?? And just how difficult will it be to find a path for a wire??

ABLE1

froggy47
    Participant

Panel is in the laundry room which shares a wall with garage. I can run wire thru that wall. I can pick up a/c in the garage.

I guess to make it wireless is needless complication? Go hard wire?

:)

ABLE1
    Participant

Go hardwire.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.