Home Forums General Technical Questions Test Siren

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  keith 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

keith

I have a Moose MPI-30 siren that I think might have died on me – how can I check it? I don't think I can just connect a 12V power to it, but I'm not sure how to test it – any help would be greatly appreciated.

FDS
    Participant

The Moose MPI-30 you have is not a siren, it is actually an 8-ohm speaker.  You can test the resistance across the speaker wires using a digital multimeter.  You should have 8 ohms.  If you have either a short ( 0 ohms) or an open (infinite resistance), you have a blown speaker that needs to be replaced.

keith

Checked it out tonight – the speaker is bad (just to make sure, I also checked my stereo speakers, which tested ok – 8 ohms).  Great advice – I really appreciate the help and the forum!!

keith

Does anyone know of a good dealer that I could get another MPI-30 from?

Old EW Tech
    Keymaster

Verify that you checked the right pair of wires, if I remember correctly, the MPI-30 used the Black and White for the speaker and the Green and Red for a Tamper.

Take a look at the ELK-SP30 (Elk on the forum's Industry Links page) it, or something  similar, is what you are looking for.

I sent you a Private Message with a list of online resellers.

keith

Thanks – you are exactly correct – the black/white went to the speaker and the green/red were for the tamper (which I also have).  I appreciate the info in the personal message.  Great information!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.